I felt the pull of alcohol this weekend. I wanted a break for a while. Through reading sober blogs, I found so many voices saying the same thing.
- quit trying to do so much
- it’s okay to check out, just don’t drink
- have you had a treat?
A self help course I took a long time ago suggested a small get away every 6 weeks and at least one big vacation every year. The planning, the anticipation, the excitement, are just as much a reward as the actual get away.
I am approaching that 6 week mark the weekend after this. My rewards have been mostly daily treats. This week I am focusing on spiritual treats, but after my longing for a break and some thoughts about drinking, I think I need to plan a run away.
Not only get out of my head but get out of my house.
Spiritual Treats this week:
- Henri Nouwen’s Bread for the Journey daily devotions
- writing and creating cards to send
- going to the library at break and getting magazines for the office, so they can get out of their heads a little too during the stressful day